Do I need probate if my husband or wife dies?

Applying for probate can be a Stressfull and Exhausting task, but our specialists are here to make it feel simple. In this guide, you’ll find everything you need to know about going through probate and dealing with someone’s estate.

Do I need probate if my husband or wife dies?

You may need probate if your husband or wife dies and leaves behind assets that aren’t jointly owned with you. However, if you’re the joint owner of their property and bank accounts, probate may not be required.


Need help with probate?

Our friendly probate specialists are here to help you and can offer information and a free, no-obligation quote over the phone. 

    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents

    Is probate needed between husband and wife?

    Probate isn’t needed between husband and wife if all the assets in the estate were jointly owned. This includes things like:

    • Property
    • Bank accounts
    • Building society accounts
    • Savings accounts

    However, probate may be required if there are additional assets in the estate worth over £10,000 that was owned solely by them. This includes things like:

    • Other bank and building society accounts
    • Personal savings accounts
    • Pensions
    • Stocks and shares
    • ISAs
    • Life insurance

    Is probate needed between civil partners?

    Like with married partners, probate isn’t needed between civil partners for any assets that are jointly owned – such as property, bank accounts, building society accounts, and savings. In fact, this rule applies to anyone you own joint assets with, whether they’re your spouse, civil partner, friend, or relative.

    However, if there are solely owned assets in the estate worth over £10,000, a grant of probate or letters of administration may be required before you can access them.

    Joint tenants vs. tenants in common – what's the difference?

    There are two different ways you can own property with another person: joint tenants or tenants in common. It’s important to understand the difference when dealing with the estate of your husband or wife, as this can impact whether or not you need to apply for probate.

    Here, we’ll cover each type of ownership in detail to help you work out how your property is owned.

    Joint tenants

    If a property is owned as joint tenants, each tenant has equal rights to the whole property. This means that, if one of the tenants dies, the surviving tenant automatically takes ownership of the whole property.

    This is the most common type of ownership for people who are married or in a civil partnership.

    Tenants in common

    If a property is owned as tenants in common, each tenant owns a percentage of the whole property. This means that, if one of the tenants dies, their share of the property makes up part of their estate. This will then pass under the terms of their will or by intestacy if they don’t have a will.

    This type of ownership is more popular with unmarried couples or friends taking their first step on the property ladder, but married couples and civil partners can also own property as tenants in common.

    How to find out how your property is owned

    If you still aren’t sure how your property is owned, call our friendly probate specialists today on 0800 188 9008 We can talk through your situation, work out if you need probate, and provide a free quote in just a few minutes.

    How do you get probate if you’re the executor of your husband or wife’s estate?

    If you were named the executor of your spouse or civil partner’s will, you may need to apply for probate before you can administer their estate. Here, we’ll cover the main steps you need to follow before you can close accounts and distribute assets to beneficiaries.

    1. Work out how much the estate is worth

    In order to work out whether probate is required, you’ll need to build up a picture of your spouse or civil partner’s estate. This includes things like property, bank and building society accounts, savings, debts, stocks and shares, life insurance, and pensions.

    If there are solely owned assets worth over £10,000, there’s a good chance you’ll need to get a grant of probate before you can distribute funds to beneficiaries. However, this value can be higher for certain organisations.

    To find out for certain whether you need to apply for probate, call our probate specialists today on 0808 188 9008

    2. Apply for probate

    Once you’ve worked out that you need a grant of probate, you’ll need to prepare your probate application. It’s important to get started as quickly as possible so that beneficiaries aren’t left waiting for their inheritance.

    At Probate Specialist, we offer fixed fee probate starting at just £499. Here’s how it works:

    • We have a call to collect details about your loved one’s estate.
    • We submit all Inheritance Tax forms to HMRC
    • Your probate application is prepared and sent to you to be signed
    • Your probate application is submitted to the probate registry
    • Your approved grant of probate is sent to you in the post

    To find out more about our service, or for a free, no-obligation quote, give us a call today on 0808 188 9008

    3. Administer the estate

    After receiving your approved grant of probate, you’re free to start closing accounts, selling or transferring property, and distributing assets to the beneficiaries named in the will.

    If the estate is fairly simple, you may be comfortable dealing with this yourself. However, this process can become much more complex if there are multiple accounts to deal with or inheritance tax has to be paid.

    If you would like help administering the estate of your spouse or civil partner, call our probate specialists today on 0808 188 9008 We can provide you with a free quote in just a few minutes.

    How to apply to be the administrator of your husband of wife’s estate

    If your husband, wife or civil partner died without a will, you’ll be their next of kin under the rules of intestacy. This means that you stand to inherit the first £270,000 of their estate, plus 50% of anything that remains.

    As the main beneficiary of the estate, you’ll need to apply to become the administrator. At the end of this process, you’ll be sent a grant of letters of administration. This will give you the legal authority to deal with their estate in the same way that an executor deals with someone’s estate when there is a will.

    To apply to become the administrator of your spouse or civil partner’s estate, call our probate specialists today on 0808 188 9008


    Who can apply for probate?

    You can call free on 0808 188 9008 or you can call us on 0207 965 7568 local call charges apply 

    Probate Specialist Limited, 5th Floor, 167-169 Great Portland Street, Marylebone London, W1W 5PF

    Probate Specialist Limited 126, High Street , Marlborough SN8 1LZ

    For general email purposes you can email email@probatespecialistltd.co.uk or london@probatespecialistltd.co.uk

    You can also email your specialist directly on specialistname@probatespecialistltd.co.uk

    Probate Specialist Limited, The Office, 21 Ferozeshah Road, Devizes, Wiltshire SN10 2JQ

    Company Number: 13015149

    ICO Reg Number ZA807624

    Rise to the top

    Helping Our Clients

    Our main focus is helping our clients. When they are in one of the most difficult times in their lives. The well-being of our clients is paramount to our success.

    count on us

    The Probate Experts

    We have extensively trained in Probate and we believe that we have the best systems in place to deal with your probate in a fast efficient and accurate manner. 

    Right First Time

    Best Practices

    Our systems are constantly checked on a daily basis to make sure we are capable of dealing with anything that can literally be thrown at them

    Who can apply for probate?
    What information do you need before applying for probate?
    Scroll to Top
    Probate Specialist

    We and selected partners, use cookies or similar technologies as specified in the cookie policy. You can consent to the use of such technologies by closing this notice. Further information is also available in our privacy policy.

    Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
    Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.